Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training
Who is this qualification suitable for?
This qualification provides training for those individuals who aspire to, or hold, a teaching role with an extensive range of teaching or training responsibilities, including those in more than one context.
You must have a minimum of 100 hours of teaching practice.
This qualification is suitable for individuals who:
- Want the opportunity to explore underpinning theories, frameworks and research into effective teaching and learning alongside developing practical teaching skills
- Are currently teaching and want to have their experience and practice accredited
- Are not currently teaching but can meet the minimum teaching practice requirement of 100 hours
- Are able to undertake a large qualification, lasting one to two years
- Have the potential to study at this level, which has the same level of demand as that of a degree course
- Want a wide choice of optional units to reflect the context in which they teach
- Want a qualification recognised as equivalent to the Certificate of Education qualifications
- Are willing to undertake an initial assessment of their skills in English, mathematics and ICT, record their development needs and follow an action plan to address them where necessary
- Can evidence Level 3 skills in English or mathematics if they are taking any of the specialist units in teaching English (literacy and/or ESOL) or mathematics (numeracy)
This qualification develops practical teaching and training skills, and through the optional units, prepares individuals to teach and train in a wide range of contexts.
On successful completion, you will be able to apply for Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) Status. Recent changes to legislation now enable holders of QTLS to teach in schools. Other possible progression routes include higher-level qualifications in education or specialist teaching.
Once you have your qualification you will be able to work in a number of roles as:
- Colleges of further education
- Community/adult education
- Hospitals and healthcare
- Commercial and industrial training
- Technical and support staff
- Personnel in the public sector, uniformed services or HM Forces
"Fully qualified further education (FE) lecturers can earn from £23,000 to £35,000 a year. Advanced skills lecturers can earn from £35,000 to just under £40,000." - Source: National Careers Service.
This programme comprises face-to-face training workshops, individual research peer presentation, peer observation, work experience, observed teaching practice, distance learning, reflective journal and the completion of 7 assignments.
Individual support is offered through a tutorial process and distance learning activities are assimilated into the programme. The course is assessed by 9 unit assignments, an ongoing reflective journal and a teaching practice portfolio. You will have to evidence 100 hours of teaching and will be observed 8 times.
This 120 credit qualification covers the knowledge and skills required by Teachers/Trainers in the Further Education and Skills Sector. This includes skills of teaching, facilitation of learning and curriculum development. The four mandatory modules are:
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment in Education and Training - 20 credits
- Theories, Principles and Models in Education and Training - 20 credits
- Developing Teaching, Learning and Assessment in Education and Training - 20 credits
- Wider Professional Practice and Development in Education and Training - 15 credits
The additional optional units are a total of 75 credits: (3 from 4):
- Action learning to support development of specific pedagogy – 15 credits
- Action research – 15 credits
- Developing, using and organising resources in a specialist area – 15 credits
- Teaching in a specialist area – 15 credits
This course is designed for delivery over 7 delivery days over 12 months. These sessions are highly interactive, face-to-face sessions. They are designed to encompass key themes that address the course content, prompt reflective practice and provide an opportunity to share good practice with others.
Dates and Locations
Dates available to meet individual candidate requirements, with sessions and dates available now at locations across the West Midlands region.
National dates available across the UK to meet to individual and organisational requirements.
£2,000 per candidate to include all course materials, registration and certification.
Click here for an email enquiry about this course.